My
impression of the performance could be described as confused yet curious. My
personal music preferences include everything from classic rock to classical,
yet during this performance I couldn’t categorize Miya’s music. The strange rhythmic
pattern and melodies could be described as alien. As a musician I just couldn’t
find common ground with what she was playing, but that is just my taste coming
into play. Miya’s music was very peaceful and I am sure many people enjoyed her
continuous playing which resembled a constant flow of a river, but it just wasn’t
for me. Overall I am happy that I got to try something new.
Friday, March 7, 2014
Outside Cultural Event- Miya Masaoka
The
first outside cultural event I attended was a performance by Miya Masaoka. The
performance was labeled as Koto with Electronics. The performance was a mix of
everyday sounds such as crickets and water droppings to pulsating drone noises.
This was her way of giving a unique blend and new age sound in music. These
sounds were accompanied by the Koto- a sting like instrument. With this
instrument Miya was able to imitate different interpretative sounds and blend
those with traditional Koto playing. There was no program for the performance
and no setlist like most concerts which was surprising to me. Instead Miya
played continuously in a constant strand of melodic sounds. These sounds
represented everything from daily to the sounds of nature.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment